The effect of a good book #writebravely #writetribeproblogger

“When I grow up and get married and have children, I would read this book to my kids,” said Kanna as we were reading the book ‘Wonder’.

Wonder is their current read at school. Whenever they start reading a new book in his class, Kanna asks me to get that book  and read it to him. Last year, the teacher read to the first graders Judy Moody, Ramona Quimby, The boxcar children, and The Wizard of Oz. All of these books I downloaded in my Kindle app and we read together.

Now in second grade, the first book they are reading is Wonder. I was planning to buy it, but then I found out that I can borrow the book from our local library. To my surprise the ebook was available. We have only 14 days to finish the book. Of that 3 days are up. But this book is so good that we just go on with our reading putting other things on hold. Our plan is to read 8-10 chapters a day, in order to finish the whole book on time.

Kanna loved the character Auggie from the start. He got upset when Auggie was talking about his surgery. I sense his compassion level raising as we move from page to page.

I love how Kanna’s teachers always introduce such good books to the children. It’s a delight to see him gushing with the instances from the stories. It’s a treat to see him talk about the characters as if they are real, as if they are his friends.

Linking with day 7 of Write Tribe Pro Blogger Challenge.

18 thoughts on “The effect of a good book #writebravely #writetribeproblogger”

Another budding reader.. i wish we had something similar in India. We have just one library period which is a joke.

2. Storyteller says:

I just love this book… Its in my collection which i will pass on to my kids

3. Meha Sharma says:

I have hear such rave reviews about the book. And now a film adaptation is also on the way. Will get hold of it soon. Is it appropriate for a six year old. Would love to read with my daughter in that case. Happy reading with the little reader 🙂

4. writershilpa says:

I want to see every child with his nose buried in a book; gushing about the stories and the characters that lie hidden within those books and being inspired by those words to do good in life! Kanna is blessed to be able to read good books through his school. It’s great that he enjoys reading. I pity people who aren’t fond of reading! Books are truly a man’s best friends (after dogs!) …best and most trusted friends, ever! 🙂

5. Ramya says:

Your kanna really has a great impact from this book. It surprises me the magnitude of impact books have to young minds. I get books from library to read to my kids. They enjoy and learn a lot from books.

6. Reema D'souza says:

That is really nice! We learn a lot from the stories we grow up listening to or reading!

7. Ramya Abhinand says:

Its such a cute thing to hear about Kanna. Glad his interest in books is peeking, Surely the right age to start falling in love with reading.

8. Rashmi says:

This is the best part about reading books aloud to children – you can see their feelings reflected on their little faces and you can practically see the ideas seeping and a personality taking shape. I have always loved to read to my Lo and Wonder is one of our all time favourite books! Happy reading to you and your Lo. May you enjoy Wonder and love it all the more 🙂

I love that they have introduced such a great book. And what a way to inculcate the habit of reading. I’ve meaning to pick this book up but have been waiting for the price to go down 😉
    Thanks for the affirmation that this book is good 🙂

10. nuttynupur says:

Do give details on what the book is about.

11. Nupur says:

I haven’t read this book, but will check. Your Kanna is adorable, enjoy motherhood!

12. Shruti Shankar says:

This is a good practice of inculcating reading from an early age, when i was in school i remember my English teacher would give us small books to read in groups and explain of what we learnt from it. The two things that definitely happened is that i started loving books to the core, and my foundation of the English language were well laid. I will grab this book and add to my reading list.

13. pragunify says:

So nice, reading books is something i too grew up with. but in today’s gen its getting difficult and kindle is there to help. Happy reading to both of you, keep sharing such good books.

I love this book. The twins and I read it aloud over a month, I think. And I’ve gifted it to so many youngsters. I’m glad your little one found such wonderful takeaways from it. That’s just the way it is supposed to be.

15. Nabanita Dhar says:

I loved the book and I’m going to introduce it to M when she is old enough to read it. I’m so glad Kanna found it so wonderful.

16. Lavanya says:

Sounds like a wonderful book. Goog going, Kanna!

Wonder is a real wonder for a book. It is great that in Kanna’s school, they make students read books as part of curriculum. I wish they had the same system in India also. Do you know how was it in Worcester for 1st and 2nd graders? Was there followed a similar system in schools where students are prescribed/given books to read?

18. Anchal says:

This is such an amazing book. Will check it out 🙂