2017 – Learnings, Gratitude, and Goodbye! #MondayMusings
This year whooshed past by me and I didn’t even realize it. As ridiculous as it may sound, I am getting mixed up with years – 2017 and 2016, they all more of a hazy memory. Though it feels like months sped along without a hi-bye, days were long, all of them. Learnings these days imparted to me were significant.
I have seen bad days and then extremely bad days. There were, of course, good days to counter the bad ones. Together they taught me some precious lessons.
Here I am sharing a few:
- that patience is the virtue. But it is easy to lose patience when I don’t get some time to reflect and refresh. I am not at all proud to say that 2017 has seen the crankiest me. Yelling and shouting were never in my nature, but boy, did I yell! Problem with yelling is once I got the hang of it, that became my primary weapon. I had yelled many times at Kanna. I felt anger more often than ever. And I realized that I didn’t like me that way. And if I didn’t like me, then who can and why should they? So, slowly and steadily I started to change my ways. Whenever I felt angry I reminded myself to calm down. I reminded myself that I hate yelling and that I shouldn’t do something which I hate, however quickly I could grab the kid’s attention. I am almost back to my angelic self – who talks sensibly and patiently with the kid. All it takes is a
littlelot of patience.
- that without a goal and a plan nothing can be achieved. I had many tasks and projects I wanted to accomplish this year. I approached them in a relaxed way so that I wouldn’t be swamped with works and deadlines. I didn’t want to burden me, instead, I wanted to enjoy the whole getting-done-tasks-one-by-one process. But I proved myself wrong. I was learning French, even that fell apart after a while. Had I have set a deadline, I would have put more effort and time toward my learning. Similarly, I had many other projects – learning, health, workout goals, blogging and so on- which I started to work on but fell through halfway. Twice in 2017 I had signed up for blogging challenges and completed successfully both times. Now, that just proved that with a little dedication and determination I can reach my goals.
- that it is okay to fall off the wagon every now and then. As I pointed out, I have fallen off the wagon many times this year. Blogging was as inconsistent as it could be. Workout regimen got interrupted many times either due to sickness or time crunch or laziness. Eating habits were dragged off to the sweet side more often than needed. But such regressions are alright. Because guess what, they don’t define me. Making mistakes and learning from them are essential to not make them in the future. Yeah, this wisdom doesn’t sound exactly brilliant but hey, I am back on track at this moment, so.. Appreciate the willingness to correct the mistake rather than being ashamed of the mistakes. Right?
- that counting my blessings are important every single day. Because this is life – where nothing is guaranteed and everything is uncertain. Taking time to acknowledge all that is good is something I do every single day. I am glad that I do this exercise, that I feel the need to do it as well as the repetition never discouraged me.
- that the little joys are much more important than anything else. They are.
Okay, so that’s a gist of my learnings from 2017. I am in the process of making goals for 2018 as of now. I shall share them in the next post which will up next year.
Though I had been inconsistent in blogging, I am truly grateful that I can share my thoughts here and that you are here to read me. I hope that 2017 was good to you. In five days, the new year dawns giving us another chance to right the wrongs and to lose the pounds. May 2018 be everything you wished for.
Wish you a happy and prosperous New Year!