Gratitude for a not so perfect January
“January is almost over! Already?” Exclaimed Kanna yesterday.
Usually, I would’ve thought the same, but not this time. This month I knew each day that has come and gone. I was aware of the hours and minutes and I tried my best to put it to good use. Of course, I could’ve done a better job, but for now, I’m happy how I treated 2018 January. For that I am thankful.
I did spend a lot of energy and time on a new project which not only left me with little to no energy but also stole my focus and threw me off my balance disrupting my belief systems. That was another learning point. Reinstating my belief, readjusting the focus and regaining my balance, I’m almost back on track.
I have made a few goals as the new year rolled in. Every Sunday I reviewed my goals and set one or two of them as the priority. This new system helped me to stay in focus. There were some days which wasn’t exactly productive on any front, but as I reviewed the goals at the beginning of every week, I was getting another chance to fix my mistakes and give it another shot. I have a long way to go before I can claim success, but for now, I am focusing on one step at a time.
My goals were:
On the fitness front
- To lose 4 pounds by the end of January, 1 pound every week. – I lost 2 lbs. Though that’s only a 50% success rate, I’m happy that I’m trying to adhere to my fitness regimen.
- To practice yoga daily. – I so wanted to stick to this goal, but I fell off the wagon more often than I would like to admit.
I am continuing with my walk every day. I don’t count calories I eat but have stopped eating food when I am bored.
On the blogging front
- To blog on both the blogs at least once weekly – which I have done only on some weeks. But I did blog better than last January. So there is a progress.
- To reply to comments on my posts promptly and on my earlier posts – This was in my mind for so long and I fail every single time. I know it’s a matter of discipline and getting the job done. I had planned to reply to the comments right away in order to prevent new backlogs from adding on and to work on a minimum of 5 comments from the earlier posts each day. A long way to go on this task.
On the learning front
- To learn or brush up a skill. – Though I haven’t finished the one I started I’m happy that I’m making progress. With a little push, I can get it done.
- I have a couple other projects which I didn’t even start yet.
On the reading front
- To read at least one book a month – I checked out two books from the library and couldn’t even finish a chapter before I had to return the books. Since then I borrowed just the one book and finished reading my current read The girl on the train by Paula Hawkins. Goal achieved! 🙂
On the personal front
- Well, I have struggled to keep on top of some goals. But I’m hopeful that in the coming days with a little more discipline I can manage to achieve them.
Although it seems that there are more failures than success, I don’t feel so. I have applied myself to the best of my ability. But with a toddler to care for 24/7, I have to cut myself some slack. At least I’m trying.
I feel that I’m on the right track.
I had the chance to enjoy a few unexpected moments of joy too this month:
- When Kanna received outstanding behavior award at his school.
- When I got my work authorization.
- When Akku mumbled some words a bit more clearly.
- When Akku put his dirty diaper in the trash and clapped for doing a good job.
I’m grateful for whatever I could do. I’m grateful for the failures pushing me to focus better.
I’m grateful for not losing hope.
Above all, I’m grateful for the little moments of happiness.
So, how was your January?
Linking with #chattyblogs and Gratitude Circle.