Haven’t we all heard that boys won’t cry! I have a boy and I never stopped him whenever he was in tears. I offer consoling words. I hug him. But never told him that he should not cry, because boys won’t cry.
Here are few of my reasons why I say it is okay to let your tears out.
- Boys are not super humans.
- Failures and sorrows touch boys too.
- Humans are a mix of all emotions, sadness and tears are part of it; boys are only humans.
- Suffocating tears aren’t going to make anyone strong.
- Holding back tears will attack from inside and will hurt badly
- Emotions are just emotions; crying doesn’t make anyone weak.
If boys were not supposed to cry just like we were taught to believe, then boys wouldn’t have born with tear glands. Telling young kids that it is wrong to cry will eventually result in emotional damage. Because face it, getting upset is the way of life. The bottled up tears sooner or later will find their way out. And it assumes a different avatar then, anger. However manly we think anger is, it is not. Anger will consume the body and soul little by little.
So next time you say to your little boy that he should not cry because boys won’t do that, even if it is to just quite him down, remember that you are not doing your precious little one any favor.
Let them cry, let them learn to embrace the tears, both boys and girls!
Originally published in World Of Moms.