The other day Kanna was complaining about something silly. I told him to stop complaining as he has many things to be grateful for. When he still continued to be whiny, I asked him to list three things that he was grateful for from that day. He told – 1. For the chocolate cake, he ate for pudding, 2. For the spaghetti, he ate for lunch, and 3. For snuggling beside me at that moment keeping him warm. And instantly he stopped complaining. Instead, he was smiling. That’s the magic of remembering to be grateful. It puts that frown upside down in a jiffy. Works perfectly for us adults too. 🙂
I haven’t been writing my gratitude list here for some time now. But I always write down ‘three things I’m grateful for today’, every day in my gratitude journal. That journal truly is my life line. Because there are those days where I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. Those moments I feel crushed and crumpled, scared and insecure, nothing to be happy about. Then I flip through the pages of the book and read all those moments from yesterdays which I was thankful for. I do feel the burden being lifted little by little and my mind feeling lighter and happier. The problem is when we are at a low moment in our life, all the demons do their best to make us feel lower. At that moment it’s hard to realize how good our lives are exactly. By just capturing and locking simple joys in my gratitude journal, I’m able to ward off those demons. Always grateful for my gratitude journal!
Here is my list of gratitude for this moment:
1. I’m beyond thankful for my husband, kid and our home. Wherever we move to, we make it our home, not because of the lovely homely atmosphere that house presents, but because of us. It’s difficult to adjust to changes constantly, but it’s never hard to adjust when I have my husband and kid beside me.
2. Last few months we had many moments of trouble. Thankful for the light at the end of the tunnel, however delayed it might appear. We have made it through many dark tunnels so far. Holding on until the darkness fades is scary and crucial. At the end of it, can’t help but feel thankful for all the strength that kept us going.
3. I believe that there is something to be grateful about if we smile, genuinely smile, at least once a day. I am grateful for experiencing such smiles on a daily basis.
4. Health. How can I not be thankful for my health? It isn’t perfect but as long as I can move around and do stuff on my own, I am grateful. 🙂
5. Meeting nice people. I am particularly thankful for this since I came across many not so nice ones. We need people with almost the same wavelength of ours to talk to at least once in a while, don’t we?
That concludes my gratitude list. What are you grateful for? Care to share with me?